The Old St. Peter’s Church in The Dalles, Oregon, isn’t used for Mass any longer, and in fact is no longer owned by the Catholic Church. It is now owned and managed by Old St. Peter’s Landmark Preservation, Inc. That organization has a nice little website with information about the old church; they also offer memberships which helps support the preservation effort.
The Old St. Peter’s group also has a FaceBook page which shares the following information:
Old Saint Peter's Landmark, commonly referred to simply as Old St. Peter's, is a historic building located at the corner of 3rd and Lincoln Streets in downtown The Dalles, Oregon. It was built in 1897 and dedicated on March 17, 1898 as St. Peter's Church, and served the local Roman Catholic congregation as its place of worship until 1968. It was saved from scheduled demolition in 1971 by a group of concerned citizens who formed Old St. Peter's Landmark, Inc., for that specific purpose, and which maintains the building as a museum and site for weddings, concerts and other cultural events.
The most noticeable aspect of the church is, of course, its steeple, which rises to 176 feet, with a 6-foot weathervane rooster at the top.
|Photo by Dana Jensen|
|Rose window in St. Peter's Church|