This is what it looks like in the trenches (at least in the Northeast). One or 2 couples out of 30 in these prep classes have an understanding of Church teaching. Most are openly living together and contracepting. Even those who go to Mass every weekend are often introduced to the reasons behind the teaching against contraception for the first time at our session!...
- receiving Holy Communion in the hand instead of on the tongue (which diminishes the sense of the Real Presence of Christ);
- allowing lay “ministers” to handle the Eucharist (creating a false sense of our “equality” with priests and therefore with Jesus);
- renovations that lower the sanctuary to the level of the people;
- removing “barriers” (like communion rails) between the people and the sanctuary;
- having the priest face the people as if he is a talk-show host; de-emphasizing the altar as a place of sacrifice and over-emphasizing the concept of Mass as a shared meal;
- introducing popular music as a replacement for Gregorian chant and sacred polyphony.